Skip to main content

All work and no play makes Jack a pretentious douche

As an alternately underpaid/unpaid Hollywood intern, you always have to fake that you're "just lucky to have the experience." You're "thankful to be working with such great people" and "truly blessed to be learning so much." It's institutionalized bullshit, insisting that the emasculating experience is more important than full time employment.

But recently, I have been genuinely lucky to be working with one particular individual...as from my office/copy room, I now have a front row seat for their slow, devastating, full-on Travis Bickle descent into insanity.

I'm not going to say who this person is. Everyone in Hollywood knows everyone else. But it's someone I either work for or with. Man or woman. Executive or artist. Director or designer. I'm not saying. I plead the fif.

Over the past month, this individual has slowly lost his or her grasp on reality. Symptoms include: Seeing things that aren't there. Gross paranoia. An even more inflated sense of ego. Having involved conversations with/yelling at walls. Assuming that every room in the building is their office. Crying in the bathroom. Inventing conspiracy theories of which their closest relatives are integral members. It's your typical, garden variety, cry for help stuff. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but you're impressed when you're witness to it. Like a car crash or anything that happens behind a bar at 2am in the morning.

It's exactly like Black Swan, only instead of two hot bi-curious ballerinas, you've got Hollywood politics and inane, fast paced rants about cinematography. And instead of lesbian intrigue, there's white men violently arguing about trivial contract points. And in the place of growing feathers and red eyes, you've got the insane wardrobe choice of coming into work on Tuesday without a tie. Basically, imagine if Aaron Sorkin wrote Black Swan.

The most irritating/debilitating part of this madness, though, is a quirk that has probably existed well before this person began to shut his or her self off from the world with a wall of Pink Floydian proportions.

Speaking about themselves in the third person.

Otherwise known as "Illeism" or "Being a pompous douche," it involves referring yourself using the pronoun "He" or "She" or, in most cases, just using your name as opposed to "I" or "Me." For example: "Trust me. I'm BLANK" or "I mean, if BLANK wants a cappuccino, then BLANK is getting a cappuccino." True, there are worse things for a person to do, such as speaking about yourself in the fourth person (talking about those around you as "he" or "she"). Or the dreaded FIFTH person, which is rumored to involve having someone else (the second person) refer to you in the third person.

It is very rare that someone can pull it off. Even God, in all of His Almighty majesty, never once referred to Himself as "He." No, He let others do that for Him. It is always "I believe this" or "I want you to sacrifice your son." Occasionally He says "Your God is angry," but it's never meant to be pompous. For an all powerful deity, He is generally humble. Never resorts to the third person (possibly since in the trinity, he is also the first and third person). Look it up. It's in the Bible. Right next to the passage about how gays can't get married and your first born daughter is acceptable legal tender.

Great men don't have to refer to themselves as such. Napoleon used "moi." Caesar said "Ego." There are only a few instances in recorded history in which individuals of such caliber and stature can successfully pull the third person and not ramp up their asshole quotient.

Acceptable uses of the third person:
Confucius
Disco Stu
Duffman
The Rock (a.k.a. The People's Champ a.k.a The Great One a.k.a. The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment a.k.a. The Brahma Bull)
Ricky Henderson
Anyone named "Simon" playing "Simon Says"
Homey D. Clown
The Incredible Hulk
Children under the age of three

And that's it. If you're not a professional wrestler, Hall of Fame athlete, Simpsons character, superhero, or Transformer, you're shit out of luck. Like in anger management, use "I feel" and "I think" statements rather than "Steve feels" or "Steve thinks" or "Shut the hell up while Steve is watching reruns of Grey's Anatomy on Hulu."

Note: As I look around the office, I feel a need to stop writing this post. "You know who" is currently attempting to read over my shoulder, convinced that I'm writing slanderous libel (their words, not mine) about them. Paranoid much?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!