Skip to main content

The art of Bro-ga

There are two struggles in practicing yoga. The first is the actual class. The second is the perpetual, losing battle of attempting to explain to outsiders just how strenuous 90 minutes of stretching can be. Because to most, yoga is the athletic equivalent of cranberry juice; good on occasion, but normally reserved for women on their periods.

Stretching and standing, holding your own body weight, keeping your arms in the air, deep breathing. Doesn't seem that difficult. Three year olds can do it. Let me tell you, when done correctly, it feels like your soul was sucked out through your pores. Some alleged "restorative" poses are tantamount to having your hips wrung through a medieval torture device...and you're doing it to yourself.

But Yoga isn't just for spiritual masochists and flexible deviants. There is another contingent who accepts Yoga as a strenuous exercise. A group that prides themselves on good posture...and firmed glamour muscles.

Bros.

Bros have invaded my yoga studio and there is no hope of them leaving. It's easy to spot a practitioner of bro-ga (not to be confused with the Malaysian village of the same name). Decked out in Under Armour. Loading up on NO Explode 30 minutes before their workout, chugging protein-rich Gatorade 3 series afterwards (which tastes vaguely like someone poured Yoplait yogurt into a Gatorade bottle and then shook vigorously). Singing Mötorhead to themselves for motivation (Time for tree pose? No problem. *humming*The ace of spades...the ace of spades...). Even though they have simply stretched their hamstrings, they puff their chest out with the swell of repping out sets of 225 on the bench.

And they aren't here to meet women. They're here for the workout. (sidebar: Strangely, yoga isn't the best place to find dates. Conversation during class is frowned upon. Spotting a female always comes with the death stare of "I have mace in my purse" that is normally reserved for all girls' college campuses. You know, because there's always the chance of the discreet "You're going to fall on your head if I don't catch you" fondle).

Granted, there is no "wrong way" to practice yoga. Everyone practices in a different manner, depending on their ability and temperament. Each person's pose is as unique as a snowflake, young grasshopper.

That being said, they're doing it wrong.

They force the pose, opting for looking great rather than feeling great. They kick up to handstand at the expense of proper form. But who cares if you're wrenching your back and tearing your calves off the bone? You're upside down and knocking out pushups.

For them, inner peace comes second to a great workout for your delts and traps, brah. It isn't a competitive sport (although it totally should be). It is yoga practice. Granted, there is something counterintuitive about practicing a skill that will only come in handy the next time you practice. When does yoga become functional? Yoga games?

A teacher of mine remarked "It doesn't matter how many cobra poses you can do if you're still an asshole." It's about what you do outside of class, taking what you learn in class with you. Yoga is a means to an end, not the destination in itself.

You can always tell a Bro-gi from their trademark sound: the grunt. Not so much a primal scream. More like a grizzly bear warding off enemies or the mating call of an elephant seal or Serena Williams in her third set at Wimbledon. I'm talking about a "GRRRRRRRRRRAUGH!" before, during and after every pose. Before, to psych themselves up. During, to maintain. After, as a signal of triumph. "Om" is normally a mantra of peace, not the vocal portion of a bro-gasm.

Their thought process is pretty easy to devise (note: it's not that I have a great insight into the mind of the bros. It's that their internal monologue oftentimes becomes vocalized). But while they're holding downward facing dog, they are thinking one of the following:

"Yeah, motherfucker! I'm kicking the living shit out of this pose!"
"I am totally going to find inner peace and have more flexible hamstrings! AMERICA!"
"Upside down handstand pushups. Let's go! 1....2...3...3 1/2...3 3/4... Time to rest! 1...2...3..."
"Chicks dig a man who can bust out eka pada bakasana whenever they want! Chicks, man. Chicks and America!"
"Sweet pose, Broprah Winfrey!" (Normally accompanied by a slap on the ass)

They tend to take spotting a bit too seriously. They get a bit too overzealous. Yoga spotting isn't like a bench press. It's about using the least amount of resistance to keep your partner in the pose. Not:

"Oh hell yes! Hold it! You're doing great! Doing great! Five more seconds! Focus! PUSH IT! FEEL THE BURN! Do it for America! Do it for Freedom! FUCK YOU, AL-QAEDA! MY MAN IS HOLDING A HANDSTAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM! WOOO!"

And release.

Recently, I was tempted to lapse back into my earlier days of bro-ga. My yoga teacher played "That's All" last week during class (a playlist dedicated to the 1980's). My first instinct was to point out that I've always been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I didn't really understand any of their work. Too artsy. Too intellectual. It was on Duke that Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

But as yoga has taught me, I exercised restraint and continued deep breathing. And the world was a better place for that silence.

So Bros, can the grunting and the exuberant posing. It's tough to call it "inner peace" if it is neither inside or peaceful. And if you can't handle that, consider the Bar Method. You'll meet women who like grasping stiff rods. And after you stop giggling, maybe you'll find a decent workout.

*******

Comments

Darren said…
that was funny, i gotta check this out more often.
Sandy Sui said…
I hate Darren. He is soft. He doesn't know what's funny.

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!