Skip to main content

I saw the light, I've been baptized by the fire in your touch and the flame in your eyes

Prologue: The Return of the King
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, you had to walk into mine. A few months ago, an update to this blog seemed about as likely as a Van Halen reunion, the Democrats winning both houses of Congress, ABC airing an episode of "Lost" that doesn't suck, and those retarded little kids actually putting the idol together in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. Well, seeing as David Lee Roth is content on putting out bluegrass cover albums, there's no way that New Jersey is going Blue, the damn writing staff feels content on stringing us along with a question to answer ratio of about 4815162342 to 1, and "Legends of the Hidden Temple" has been off the air for a decade...this blog is the surest thing of the whole lot. The new, motivated Max Davison (who apparently now speaks in the third person as though he's Rickey Henderson) has decided to update this page as frequently as possible. So sit back and enjoy my varied rants on the Dixie Chicks, Global Warming, Rachel Ray, Bob Faggen, and (of course) Nick Swisher and the Oakland A's. It'll be more entertaining than an episode of Grey's Anatomy (and hopefully with more sex *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge*). Besides, I have much better hair than McDreamy.
/End Prologue

I find it difficult to be 19 years old. I'm about 2 years too old to enjoy a bowl of Trix without annoying animated children sneaking up behind me and stealing my cereal, and apparently I'm still 11 years away from drinking Miller Genuine Draft. It's also hard to go shopping for a Halloween costume. You go to Target and you're stuck between the children's selection of Superman and Harry Potter and the adult aisle which is entirely made up of Knight Rider, Miami Vice and Magnum, PI. I guess that Target is now trying to get a stranglehold on the "stoned teenagers who just watched "I love the 80s" on VH1 and are looking for a costume" market.
So flash back to October 26th. Here's a little something that I never got around to finishing about the search for a costume as well as preparations for David Sedaris at Bridges Auditorium. Enjoy.


10/26/06
David Sedaris

It’s around 4:30 in the afternoon and I’m driving from costume store to costume store in hopes of finding more than one Ghostbusters suit, which would then be paired with super soakers filled with margaritas and ensure one hell of a Halloween party. Preferably, they’d be less than $30, look more professional than a flight suit with an ironed on logo…and with as few awkward stains as possible on the jumpsuit.
My eyes and those of my buddy Daniel Kan gleam as we drive by “Halloween Outlet” and that gleam is soon extinguished as we leave this store in the same manner that we left the other two: disappointed and putting our heads on a swivel because we’re afraid of the army of minorities that is amassing around the adjacent “Mary’s Tacos” which according to the plywood sign has moved locations over 2 weeks ago and has since become the convention center for the traveling “Wife Beaters and 40s” exhibit that’s been touring Southern California for the past 50 years or so (ever since the Zoot Suit Riots of 1943). You’ve got old pick up trucks making laps through the abandoned drive through like children in their Go Go Power Wheels Jeeps pretending that they’re in the Indy 500.
Our failure to find our Peter Venkman costumes has made me anxious about yet another thing. Later on tonight I’m scheduled to meet a particular girl and then whisk her away for a night of oratorical brilliance in the form of David Sedaris speaking at Pomona. Had I not given up drinking after last weekend’s Dodgeball Tourney (a subject that will be expounded upon later, I promise), I’d raise a glass to the hopes that NPR’s resident homosexual essayist will act as the perfect erudite aphrodisiac and inspire me to write a short piece that would be more appropriate for Playboy than the New Yorker. But seeing as it’s now 10:24pm later that night and I’m writing this piece that sounds like a stylistic hybrid between “This American Life” and my blog from high school, you have a good idea how my night ended up.
Back in the land of encountering the perfect costume which, in a perfect world, will be taken off around the same time that a condom is being slapped on my ever-hardening dick, I'm finding less and less success. Upon walking into “Party America,” we’re accosted by two grizzled old Democrats at a card table asking us, with petitions in hand, “How do you feel about having a president that’s crazy?” and “How would you like to be drafted?” Looking down, I see the sign in front of their table, which reads, in impeccable handwriting: “A vote for a Republican is a vote for DEATH” (the last word being entirely in caps, written in red and thrice underlined). I guess that these men assume that "Party America" is the party store where all the big political figures shop for confetti and streamers. My inner right-winger wants to respond, however the invariable end with these two geriatric gerrymanders (sorry, I just love alliteration) will be blabbering on about “unconditional support of Israel” and why the Chomsky/Chavez ticket would win in ’08. And all the while I’m going through this Prufrockian situation, Daniel (who had gone ahead) approaches me with a glance that screams “they’re all out of costumes. Period.”
On the drive back to campus, Kan suggests that we hit up the Toys R Us in Covina, a city 15 minutes down the 210 freeway. It’s now around 5:15pm, known in some parts of the world as “rush hour.” I insist that by the time we get back to our dorms, it will be well past 6 and I “have to meet someone for the David Sedaris reading.” Yes, I cunningly dropped in the fact that I have a date tonight like a fundraiser adding in “and I’d also like to mention the Alumni fund” at the beginning of his phone call.
An hour and a half later and I’m now cleaning up my mess of a dorm room. Mom would always give me crap at home since you could hardly see the floor under all of the strewn magazines and Gap t-shirts. Well, I’m just glad that she can’t see my dorm, since it’s the exact same situation, only instead of t-shirts it’s my entire dirty laundry collection (I’m waiting until I go home for Thanksgiving to do a load. It’s all a part of my grand scheme to never do laundry at school with the idiotic drying machines that take three cycles and $2.25 to finally get past anything considered “damp.”) And instead of magazines it's overpriced text books that currently take up the majority of my MasterCard statement...and beer bottles, of course.
In the off chance that my night will end up back at my dorm room, I don’t want it to look like a suicide Fraternity-bomber went off in my room. The bed is made, the clothes are in the hamper, the bottles are recycled (I really do care about the environment), and I even hide my action figure collection. I actually go out of my way to put my Captain Marvel, Hawkman and Plastic Man figures in my closet like they’re going to reenact some kind of R. Kelly video. My buddies tell me that superhero figures are a greater female-repellent than a poster of Ronald Reagan over your bed. Needless to say, Ronny found his way into my closet as well.


And that's where my diary entry ended. I'll spare you the details of the evening (if you really want them, you know where to find me), except that Sedaris is insanely brilliant and, along with George Will, Tucker Max and Professor Nick Warner, has inspired me to keep writing.
As for Halloween, I'd like to say that I'm glad that we didn't find the Ghostbusters suits, since I saw at least 20 other guys wearing them on last Saturday night. Plus, my Indiana Jones get up was just awesome (check facebook for visual confirmation).
Thanks for reading, and Go With Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Is it a picture of Ronald Reagan when he was young and hot? Oh hell, even if it's old, grizzled, forget-me-now Ronnie, you should keep the poster up. Total turn-on.

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!