Skip to main content

My take on the power ballad

I submitted this last week for the Writing Center's little literary journal competition. I never heard back, so I'm assuming that the first prize e-mail got lost somewhere in the interweb, or that I'm probably not getting published. But isn't that what these blogs are for?
So, in its entirety, is my entry. It started out as an epic poem, turned into a power ballad, and is now just some sort of Seussian work.
I would also like to add that none of this is based on my own personal experiences. I may have a thorough knowledge of people's lives, but I would never resort to what follows.

Facebook Stalker

By Max Davison


Hey there, do you also think this party’s lame?

I can’t stand watching the same old Beirut game.

I really wish there was something more to do

Maybe if they had a tournament for Taboo?


No fooling! It’s my favorite board game, too! I suppose

The toughest word I ever got was “Axl Rose”

Luckily my teammate’s favorite song is “Paradise City”

The two of us had great chemistry, like Levin and Kitty


Anna Karenina’s your favorite book? What are the odds!

And I read it before Oprah told us it was the novel of the gods.

I was never a big fan of Thursday night book clubs

I’d rather stay in and watch the new episode of “Scrubs.”


I’m glad that I’m making you laugh, and I’m not even trying

Because you either get busy living or get busy dying.

What movie is that from? I’m drawing a blank.

You’re telling me it’s your favorite movie: Shawshank?


So you like Morgan Freeman, Zach Braff and Tolstoy

Let me take a random guess and say you also enjoy

The taste of Coke opposed to Pepsi or Sprite.

And if you don’t mind me saying, this is your lucky night


Because there’s something that I really want you to know

I’m aware of your favorite movies, music and TV show

I know everything in the world that you need

I see it updated daily on your News Feed


I check your profile daily, admiring your status

You’re too good to be true, and that’s hardly a shocker

I’ve wanted to say Hi for awhile, so how do you do?

Pleasure to meet you; I’m your humble Facebook stalker.


That fake marriage of yours threw me off for a while

But your deceptive nature just continued to beguile

I know you have a heart, so I forgive you if you lied

Since you immediately joined a RIP group after Steve Irwin died.


Our political views are both liberal so there will be no drama

And we’re both part of “A Million Strong for Barack Obama.”

Whenever I’m bored, I check out your groups and I scan.

Congrats on joining a couple to donate a dollar to Sudan


It seems like you care about poverty in Africa

Bono’s probably your favorite rocker

No, I’m not a telepath reading your mind

I’m just your modest Facebook stalker


I saw that your friend count just hit three hundred

You’re popular, but not to the extent that I dread

Because I don’t want you to be an ostentatious girl

Who grabs a different guy each weekend for a whirl.


Saw there were some great photos of you from the beach

That purple bikini really shows off your knockers

If you post more shots of you looking like that

You’ll have an army of Facebook stalkers


Why are you walking away? I’m the guy who fits you best

So tomorrow, please don’t reject my friend request!

We’d be perfect together; you’ve got nothing to lose!

We both respect Radiohead and a woman’s right to choose!


Please don’t tell your friends that I’m some kind of shmoe

Especially not your hot friend you met freshman year on W.O.A.

You’re taking out your phone. Are you giving your number to me?

Oh. You’re threatening to call campus security.


I guess that destiny hates me. Our love is not fate.

Cause if it were, we’d be sexiling my roommate

But that’s not going to happen; I struck out on my first pitch

I guess there’s no Facebook category to indicate you’re a bitch.


You say you’re looking for a relationship. Obviously not true.

So it’s hardly my fault. God was I wrong about you!

I know it’s not me, because I’m such a sweet talker.

Fine! Walk away! You’ll never find a more courteous Facebook stalker!


Go with Christ
-MGD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!