Skip to main content

HR's Response to the Always Be Closing Speech


-->
Dear Mr. Blake-

My office has received numerous complaints in response to Tuesday’s speech to the sales team re: the Glengarry leads.  These troubling accusations detail inappropriate conduct such as: verbal abuse, workplace bullying, emasculation, damage to self-esteem and emotional health, and the overall fostering of a hostile and cutthroat work environment, all of which flies in the face of the mission statement and core values of Mitch & Murray Real Estate. 

You employed inflammatory language and certain epithets that you can’t use anymore (and never should have been able to use, if we’re being honest), leading to a speech that was offensive to a multitude of groups, even those not present in the room (Note to self: We should make a concerted effort to hire at least one woman to our sales staff).

In another office, any of these infractions would be grounds for termination.  Per our company guidelines, however, we are now considering the possibility of probation after your next offense. 

In the past, you have responded to these HR complaints (when choosing not to disregard multiple e-mails and phone calls and in-person visits) with diatribes that inquired about the whereabouts of my genitalia and relentlessly mocked my “soft, bureaucratic, Subaru-driving, Beta male, limp wristed handshake.”  But this time I ask that you address some glaring lapses in your organizational infrastructure and motivational techniques.

These accounts cited numerous instances of debasement, including: “You call yourself a salesman, you son of a b***h?”  “The f**king leads are weak?  You’re weak.”  “You think this is abuse, you c**ks***er?”  You used so many expletives, in fact, that while typing up this report, my star key just now snapped in half, so I apologize for spelling out these vulgarities in full from here on out.

Positive language has been proven to be more effective than cruel, berating tirades.  Use encouraging phrases such as “I’d prefer it if you would do X” or “Might there be another way to accomplish Y?” rather than “Fuck you” and “Fuck you.”  I urge you to take an interest in your coworkers rather than targeting their weaknesses on a personal level. 

DO: Ask open-ended questions about your subordinate’s role as a new father.
DON’T: Tell him “Fuck you, go home and play with your kids.”

Setting clear goals and rewards will inspire collaboration, rather than selling one another out for the sake of winning a set of steak knives.  There are better motivational tactics than bragging about the size of your watch, your car, your salary, and one complaint mentioned a literal set of brass testicles, which I can only assume/hope was a custom made visual aid. 

As I have made clear in several intra-office memos, coffee is not reserved exclusively for closers.  That communal pot of coffee is designed to raise morale and promote an inclusive corporate culture that extends across different success levels and economic strata.  Sales is a relationship business and sometimes the best salesman, sorry, salesperson isn’t the one who closes the most deals or brings in the most revenue or contributes the most to the bottom line of the company.

The worst offense is the fact that you continue to perpetuate the “Always Be Closing” school of thought despite it being discredited by most management consultants.  As outlined in the countless pamphlets I have left on your desk, we now embrace the mnemonic techniques of: Always Be Compassionate.  Always Be Caring.  Always Be Conscious of your employee’s emotional state before saying anything that might be construed as offensive or unnecessarily ruthless based on a perceived lack of manliness and/or failing to live up to your narrow definition of success.  ABC.  It’s simple.

It also bears noting that sales crashed after your ersatz “pep talk,” with multiple employees quitting, citing increased stress and low job satisfaction.  One salesman robbed the office and wound up in police custody, causing quite the pile up of exit paperwork, fines, and potential lawsuits, all of which made my life considerably more difficult.  I would prefer it if you would not threaten the staff into committing felonies.  Might there be another, more efficient way to reach our monthly sales quotas?

Despite all of my carefully worded suggestions and thoughtful performance review feedback, I have not witnessed a single indication that you are willing to alter your management style.  No matter how many sensitivity seminars I recommend or voluntary mentorship programs I enact, you will continue to be a frustrating, toxic presence in this office that serves only to hinder progress and--

Know what?  Upon second thought, I am suspending you without pay for the next three months.  That’s right.  It’s my call to make and I just made it.  I’m from HR and I am here on a mission of vengeance. 

Oh.  Do I have your attention now? 

And I’m sure you’ll be whining about what?  Some guy in HR won’t cave to your abuse.  Some pencil pusher won’t let a real man do his job.  Alimony payments eating into your paycheck.  Well let’s talk about something important.  Genuine human connections. 

Good salesman?  Who gives a shit?  Crushing it on commission?  Go cry about it in your BMW as you drive home to your future ex-wife.  “Fuck you” should be your name.  And you know why?  Because manliness doesn’t mean broad shoulders and a raspy voice and a Brooks Brothers rewards card.  It means a concern for the well being of those around you, you pathetic testosterone-soaked protohuman.

So be kind and considerate and respect others’ personal boundaries, you pencil-dicked walking overcompensation of a man, or I will put the “severe” back in “severance.”  Hit the bricks, pal, and beat it because your SunTzu-inspired Dunning-Kruger confidence isn’t going to save you this time, asshole.

If you have any follow-up questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.  My schedule will always be clear. 

Warm Regards,

Doug from HR







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!