Skip to main content

The Pop Princess and the Pill Popper: An Oliver Stone joint

Song stuck in my head for the day: "Read My Mind" - The Killers.

*******

There was a recent article about how incoming college freshmen grew up in a completely different world than even recent college graduates. Examples include knowing Fergie as a pop singer rather than the Duchess of York, they don't remember the Cold War, and they don't use wristwatches. Trying to add to the list, I figured that when they hear the words "Paul is dead," they think that someone recently died, as opposed to playing the White Album backwards.

In my strange, tangential, wikipedian mindset, this got me thinking about that great conspiracy theory. Honestly, it's worth wasting a few minutes looking into the clues on the cover of Abbey Road or mishearing lyrics to All You Need is Love.

I wondered why our poor, deprived generation didn't have a similar urban legend. Where is our "Who shot JFK?" or "Did man really walk on the moon?" Sure, you have the 9-11 conspiracy theorists, but they're about as coherent as Billy Bibbit reading tongue twisters. Our greatest urban legends are wether or not B. Hussein Obama is a Muslim or if Curt Schilling really hurt his ankle.

Like my other great epiphanies in life, it happened while browsing through the FM dial. Suddenly, it hit me like Buster Douglas, we have our own urban myth. It has been staring us in the face through magazine covers and bad indy rock videos. After much thought and careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry are the same person. The similarities are too glaring too ignore.

********

"But Max," you no doubt protest, "they are entirely different people! One is an outrageous pop star with bizarre taste in wigs/men, the other is a droll ice queen who sounds vaguely Nordic on occasion!"

It is exactly these differences that confirm my suspicion and reinforce my theory that these two brunettes have been living a double life for the last five years. This isn't so much an alter ego, not in the sense that Bruce Wayne and Batman have never been seen together (I'm looking at you Tracy Morgan and Andrew Bynum and Bob Baffert and Ric Flair). What I am putting forth is something more devious than we ever could have suspected. I propose that Zooey and Katy could easily switch places and no one would notice, and have been for the past few years.

Remember that movie "Dave?" Hmm. Probably not. Lame script. What about "The Prince Okay. Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer impersonated Krusty and was abducted by the mob? EXACTLY. Zooey and Katy have been switching off between the alcoholic Russell Brand lifestyle and that of a hipster trash independent actress who spends most of her money on deleted (not released, underline) Frank Zappa albums. It is the perfect way to find balance between the two extremes. Haven't you ever wanted to be someone else for a day?

In order to complete the illusion, you need to account for the changes in, ahem, lung capacity
This can easily be altered with the use of a pump or a padded bra. Ask any 15 year old girl or transvestite: cup size is easier to fake than interest at a child's piano recital.

Vocal ability shouldn't be an issue since neither can sing. Deschanel speaks in the same, monotone voice. Why? To prevent from breaking into her Katy Perry speech patterns where she is able to turn a single syllable into a sentence (see: sy-llll-la-la-ble).

Ms. Perry and I have a complicated relationship, stemming from her first single (Sidebar: It notes that I have yet another theory regarding her, namely that she and Taio Cruz are in a secret competition to see who can have greater success with dumber lyrics). "I Kissed a Girl" is only redeemable if it led to an increase in lipstick lesbians, and we really don't have the raw data to support that claim. "Hot n' Cold" was there for me when I needed it. Got me through some rough times, not gonna lie. Everything else is pure crap...except for the toe-tappingly addictive Teenage Dream. So she's got a 50/50 success rate, which in a classroom setting is an F but in the MLB puts you in the hall of fame.

The same sort of schizophrenic attitude goes for Zooey Deschanel. She starts out innocent and sweet (see: Elf). Then she marries an emo rocker, suddenly considers herself to be a serious actress, and then she starts playing games with JoGo's emotions, pulling the classic "I warned you not to fall in love with me" card. As you can tell, I am also of the opinion that (500) Days of Summer was, in fact, a documentary. A moody, overwrought documentary with a musical number.

The evidence is there, people. Open your eyes and stop blindly accepting what your government/Entertainment Weekly tells you. Bring me proof that these are two separate entities. I dare you.

Next month's conspiracy theory: Def Jam records has castrated Justin Bieber.

-Max

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!