Skip to main content

Scenes from the weekend: Indy Wrestling and Bar Hopping

Moment of full disclosure: I love professional wrestling. Actual love. The type of love between a man and a woman or a man and a fine Cuban cigar. If we were in fifth grade, I would be in "like" like with wrestling. And it isn't in the sense of “I love the camp! Foreign objects rule!” or “It’s a parody of MMA" or “It’s so bad that it’s good,” much like how some worship Plan 9 From Outer Space or Jeph Loeb's run on Hulk.

No. I actually love the sport...to the point where I refer to it as “a sport."

I read the dirt sheets. I watch the occasional PPV. When I look at what John Cena has done to the WWE, I shed a single tear like the Indian Chief staring at a field of garbage. I fondly reminisce about the Attitude Era (the late ‘90s when the Rock, Austin, Angle, HHH, and Y2J were running wild) much like the Huffington Post does the Clinton years.

It combines Hollywood drama, larger than life icons and athletic ability (which is typically overshadowed by the staged finishes). These men and women are athletes. Get over it. I dare you to hit any of these moves without incurring brain damage. Let me put it this way: if someone were to attack Brock Lesnar in a darkened alley, he could probably fight his way out by using a few submission holds. Conversely, Houdini gets punched by some asshole and dies. Which goes to show you that wrestling is more real than magic.

Above the athletics, you have characters. True, they're manufactured by a writing staff and often over the top and racially questionable (read: Black Machismo, Latino Heat, the Squinty-Eyed Dragon), but they turn the ring work into an extension of the backstory.

Unlike sports, you're playing a part both in and out of the ring. It makes everything stronger when there's a backstory. You need a heel and a face. In the NBA, you can't be a villain. LeBron took a hit after "The Decision" from which his image will never recover. In wrestling, you can be the most hated man in the ring, and you're doing your job better than anyone else in the world. Basically the opposite of Congressional approval ratings.

I have never felt like an outsider as a wrestling fan. Sure, people mock wrestling as junk television and some derisively raise the People's Eyebrow in vain towards me (violating the eleventh commandment), but I have always known that I was inside something great. All the haters were missing out. They don't have the same legends. Flair, Hogan, Steamboat, Savage, Andre, Piper.

It means that during every MMA bout, you can make jokes about Brock Lesnar knocking himself unconscious at Wrestlemania. On particularly trying days, it means waking up to Chris Jericho's entrance music for inspiration. It's the inherent knowledge that Bret Hart will be booed in every arena in the USA, yet hailed as a god in Canada. It's listening to CM Punk on Bill Simmons' podcast and understanding what it means to be a "Paul Heyman guy."

The results might be predetermined, but the backstage politicking is wholly real (check out Eric Bischoff's history in the Monday Night Wars. When he showed up on RAW, it was like Yasser Arafat being elected prime minister of Israel. And no, that's not hyperbole).

It's the Shakespearean tragedy that after sniping the WWF's top talent, WCW imploded since they didn't promote from within their own roster. The downfall of WCW is comparable to the rise and fall of the Third Reich (the fingerpoke of doom essentially being the Berlin Airlift, and the Russo/Goebbels comparison can't be overstated).

*******

As you can tell, I can go on for days on end about the intricacies of pro wrestling (and I haven't even touched on Edge and Christian, ECW, Marty Jannetty's Buckner-esque curse, or Mick Foley's contributions to American Literature). But there is another side of the business and another category of wrestling fans with whom I've gotten acquainted lately. Namely, the independent scene. Sure, you've heard of The Rock and Stone Cold. But what about the Samoa Joes of the world? Bryan Danielson? Nigel McGuinness? Another world entirely.

These fans are the true believers. The people who decry the WWE as sell outs, Uncle Toms pandering their product to children for the sake of merchandising (WWE recently banned excessive profanity during promos and bleeding during matches). The ones who consider Ring of Honor to be the one, true promotion. The fans who value wrestlers over "sports entertainers."

I have always wanted to bring more people into this world. Wanted them to understand the beauty of ring psychology, selling injuries, the slow heel turn, mark out moments, and gaining heat.

So this past weekend, I bring a friend (concealing his identity, lets call him "Reinhold") along to a PWG event. Reinhold says he has absolutely no idea what to expect. Much like skydiving, buying a used car or dating an actress, that's the only way to experience the independent scene.

It's indy wrestling the way it is supposed to be exhibited: at the American Legion outpost #308 in Reseda; a seedy venue in a part of town populated by bail bondsmen and Korean markets. And in case you were wondering, yes, the American Legion has a liquor license. The fear for your life is compounded by the mandatory pat down at the door. It's a ballroom roughly the size of a high school gymnasium, holding maybe 200 rabid, drunk, Cena-hating goons; somewhere that Randy the Ram would feel comfortable performing. There were probably 12 other people wearing the same CM Punk shirt that I had on. It's as though you took a prize boxing match and filled the venue with the Daytona 500 infield.

Ah yes. My people.

I was particularly excited for this event since reigning ROH champ Davey Richards (who was maligned as “Jim Cornette’s wet dream," an insult only understood inside that ring) was wrestling Kevin Steen for the title. Davey ended up losing after a piledriver so dangerous that WWE has banned the move.

It's the most real that professional wrestling will ever get. The outcome might be staged, but they don't pull punches. There isn't an external story, just in-ring storytelling. We saw as a 250lb man hit a plancha over the turnbuckle, landing outside the ring, crushing a chair and then smashing his head against a table. There were top rope moonsaults, 450 splashes, men getting dropped on their heads, and a few sequences so well choreographed that they evoke comparisons to a dance (to misquote Jack Handy: "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music and the dancers hit each other").

If there is an art to the wrestling, there's an art to the crowd as well. Interacting with the crowd is part of the job. When someone started mocking the Quebec-born Kevin Steen with "Oh, Canada," Steen starts a "Shut the fuck up *clap clap clap clap clap*" chant that takes over the arena. The crowd chants "boo" during the villain's punch and "yay" for the hero's. It's a rabid, intimate crowd that you can't reproduce anywhere else. Much like any of your drunk uncle's anecdotes, you had to have been there to understand.

So, the event ends (on a cliffhanger, no less, hyping next month's event. Steen v. El Generico...in a LADDER MATCH) at around 11pm. The night is young, adrenaline is still pumping, so Reinhold and I aren't about to end the party just yet. His plan is to “meet up” with some of “his boys.” He lives fairly close to a local hipster dive bar, so I naturally assume that we'll be drinking cheap pitchers while decompressing the abject awesomeness of what we just witnessed.

(Sidebar: I'm willing to go to a Hipster bar? Really? Granted, it has been well documented that I hate, loathe, despise, and am currently planning a mass genocide of hipsters. That doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy seeing them in their natural habitat, the Flannelmal Kingdom. Also, I honestly enjoy PBR. Not because it’s ironic, which is an added perk.)

Instead, we drive past that bar and keep on keeping on towards the upscale part of Santa Monica. Felt like Michael riding with McCluskey and Sollozzo ("We're going to Jersey?").

We meet up with Reinhold's boys, who are dressed in blazers, topsiders and khakis. I’m not sure what their night included up to their point, but it either entailed a jaunt through the yacht club or preventing Flounder and Pinto from pledging their frat.

Go to a bar located on the top floor of a hotel. You walk out of the elevator and into a realm of trendy, hip people who actually belong to "a scene." Mainly out of work actors who spend whatever income is left after their SAG dues at Fred Segel. The sort of man who wears a scarf indoors during the Southern California summer. All of whom have their hair in an Jimmy Neutron faux hawk. It's a bar with a built-in 20 minute wait to get served a $15 drink (unless you have the FastPass of a pair of DDs). There are more sport coats and vests than a Hogwarts dining hall.

The sort of bar that I make jokes about not being allowed in. And for some reason, I'm inside.

As I'm equivocating the situation ("If Hemingway and Fitzgerald were still alive, is this the place they'd be frequenting?"), the others get situated at the bar, start chatting up prospects, scoping out the dance floor. As they disappear into the mass of Entourage extras, me and my B cups are still waiting at the bar (now at minute 12).

While attempting to make eye contact with any of the five bartenders, I catch a glimpse of myself in one of the many convenient mirrors situated nearby. I'm wearing a CM Punk shirt, checkboard Vans and a woven belt (note: I assure you, I’m not a hipster). I try to tuck my shirt into my jeans, hoping to seem classier. Doesn't help. Look like my dad on his way to play tennis.

And I realize something:

This entire bar is an exercise in loneliness.

People trying to avoid it.

People trying to prevent it.

And some people *ahem* wallowing in it.

It's one of the more uncomfortable moments in recent memory. Much like walking into the American Legion Outpost to watch independent wrestlers kick each other in the head while drunken rednecks scream "TAP OUT! KILL! KILL!"

One of those real world instances with so much unintended symbolism and parallelism that you understand exactly why LiveJournal was created.

At which point, the story turned into that of a man who absolutely hates the world that he sees...and desperately wants to be a part of it.

*******

Long story short, October 22. Steen v. Generico in a ladder match. Going to be epic. I haven't dragged anyone to a PWG show who didn't rave about it later. Who's in?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!