Skip to main content

15 August 2007 - November Rain (in July)

esIt's been raining a lot in Auckland recently, not that I mind. When I talk to people back home and hear that it's 100 degrees outside and the air conditioner is working harder than the pixilation artist on Girls Gone Wild, it doesn't bother me as much. Winter in the Southern Hemisphere ends mid-September. So I'll have two months of glorious Spring before I come back home to find...Winter. So I suppose I successfully ditched Summer and its god awful, scorching Carrie Underwood-levels of hotness. But then again, I'm still pretty pasty and haven't gotten my classic July farmer's tan.

It's actually quite pleasant when you break it down. It rain starts at night, right before I go to bed so the raindrops sing me to sleep. And when I wake up, the world is sunny and dewey, like Malcolm's kid brother. It's the best of both worlds, sleeping through the bad parts. Kind of like falling asleep at a U2 concert when Bono starts sermonizing about Africa and waking up as he hits the high note in "One." Or watching Howie Mandel ask "Deal or No Deal," skipping the annoying delibreation with idiot relatives, and then waking up in time for the models opening the briefcase. Or watching the first five minutes of "House," skipping the pointless half hour in the middle, and then waking up for the dramatic diagnostic reveal. (A lot of references, I know. But I came up with so many good ones that I didn't want to play favorites and deprive you of any).

Clouds and I have had a rocky, Ross and Rachel sort of relationship. I first learned to be wary of them when I saw Winnie the Pooh masquerade as a little black rain cloud in some sort of black-ops mission to siphon off honey from the bees' reserve. Then I became deathly afraid when I realized that aliens could invade earth by coming down in chubby raindrops. And most recently, Mr. Eko got mauled to death by a giant black smoke cloud.

But in New Zealand, I've come to appreciate rain a bit more.
Earlier this semester, I went to Eden Park to see the All Blacks play the Wallabies in a test rugby match. Yes, that was the Facebook photo that many of you mistook for my membership in the Raider Nation. The game wasn't much to write home about (whole lot of running, not a lot of scoring...kind of like a classic Ben Fawkes Saturday night. ZING!). But the atmosphere was insane. You've got a packed stadium in the pouring rain. And I mean driving, gale force, hypothermia-inducing rain that would have caused Steve Carell to start building an ark.
And it seems that everything is a bit more exciting in the rain. Walking home becomes an exercise in not slipping on your ass. Watching a movie inside feels more cozy when you're waiting out a storm. And it simply feels more alive than 24/7 sunshine like in Los Angeles.
Well, every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose.


-MGD



That's what she said of the day:
(After swimming in the ocean)
I need to get this salty taste out of my mouth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!