Skip to main content

Pre-con Reconnaisance

Getting rid of another one of my pre-30 bucket list, as tomorrow I'm finally going down to San Diego for Comic Con. (Sidebar: You have noticed that there are a few more things added to the list, many of which involving food and extreme sports. On the other end, my dream of holding the WWE heavyweight title has been put on the backburner, at least until later on in life. I saw a movie that revealed the true horrors and struggles of being a Wrestler. I'm speaking of course, about Ready to Rumble).

And although Comic Con seems like the perfect destination, you can't simply hop in your car and drive down the 405. It's something that men and women prepare their whole lives for. If you dive in head first, you could end up rocking back in forth in the fetal position as a horde of Stormtroopers circles you.

Yes, I read comic books. Yes, I think that Han shot first. Yes, I work for a publisher. Yes, I can tell you the difference between Sin City-era Frank Miller and 300-era Frank Miller. But you can't just go to Comic Con because you like comics. That's like scrubbing into open heart surgery because you played Operation as a child.

Last week, it turned out that my wisdom teeth had deeper roots than Alex Haley. This time off from work gave me time to sit at home and prepare for comic con. To ease myself into the world of the Con. Like taking trace amounts of iocaine powder to build up an immunity...only with people who still haven't gotten over Greedo shooting first.

1) Reread Watchmen and prepared a five paragraph essay about its merits and why the most glaring problem with the movie wasn't the plot, acting or story structure, but rather that Bubastis was recast with a blue cat. Recommended reading on the subject courtesy of my friend Jason Ho: http://bootlegsketch.blogspot.com/2010/02/things-that-should-not-be-meow.html.

2) Memorized every actor to play Doctor Who, along with reasons why they all sucked. If there's one thing that Who-fanatics like to discuss is why the new Doctor couldn't hold a torchwood to the previous one's TARDIS, if you know what I'm saying. The David Tennant v. Matt Smith debate is slowly turning into fandom's version of "Magic or Bird" or "Beatles or the Stones." The correct answers to the above being: Tennant, Magic and Mick Jagger, obviously.

3) Rewatched Buffy season 1-7. In pure Joss Whedon fashion, I practiced ending every word with the letter "y," since apparently that's how teenagers talk. Other key viewing experiences: the Star Wars trilogy, the IT Crowd, Batman the Animated series, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Kevin Smith's Clerks.

4) The only sport I paid attention to was Pyramid Ball.

5) Instead of traditional alcoholic beverages (see: beer), I began to ween myself towards comic con drinks. The Kryptonite Gimlet. The Dr. Manhattan manhattan. The Namor-tini. Alternative, the Martony Stark. A "Power Man and Iron First" (a black and tan). And the always popular Comic Con beverage: Rockstar energy drinks.

5) I studied a history textbook that has lessons on the Eugenics War, the Cylon War, the Unification War, the Secret War, the Civl War, the first Robotech War, the Telepath War,

At which point, I realized that all of my classroom research couldn't prepare me for the actual experience. So I went down to my LCS (local comic shop for the uninitiated) and spent every day at Comic Smash in Studio City.

6) I got into heated debates about how Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't solve any of the problems posed by the DC Comics Multiverse. Why Dick Grayson is a useless character: he's too old to be Robin but he can never be Batman. How Grant Morrison's run on JLA was superseded by Mark Waid's. Why the finale to Battlestar Galactica is an allegory for Devil worship (apparently the Cylon god is actually Satan. Go fig).

On average, I spent about 25 minutes talking to the guy behind the counter. Then I spent another 17 minutes inching my way to the front door, getting stopped every minute with "But the problem with Y the Last Man was...." or "You know who should have played Superman? Brendan Fraser!"

The following are key pieces of Comic Con lore that I learned from the kind, acerbic staff.

7) Remember: Even though Enterprise was the most recent series, Captain Archer is technically the first Star Trek captain in chronological order.

7.5) It is never okay to insult Captain Janeway. I learned that one the hard way.

8) The Jedi community has pretty much ignored "midichlorians" by this point. The Force is the Force.

9) The Big Bang Theory is the Uncle Tom's Cabin of comic book fans. It is a commercial, oversimplification of the lifestyle. A more apt description would be "it's the Fantastic Four movie version of the Fantastic Four comic book."
But with regards to the Con itself, I was given a clear warning from every veteran I met.

10) The most important lesson is: If you see a girl in a hot costume, beware. Sure, she might be flaunting her Emma Frost costume. But remember: the very fact that she is at Comic Con is a red flag. The fact that she is in costume is a sign that she is insane, batshit Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix crazy.

So if you're going to be in the Whale's Vagina this weekend, but sure to drop by the Bongo Comics booth (#2159) for all of our sweet exclusives. And to make sure that I haven't spent all of my money on variant covers of Uncanny X-Men #500 or joined a religious cult/street gang (I believe that the Dharma Initiative counts as both).

I'll be back on Monday with war stories, photographs, and hopefully I'll be BFFs with Nathan Fillion.

Nothing ever ends, Adrian,
-Max

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!