Skip to main content

Don't sit crying over good times you had

With the advent of user generated web content, the Internet is supposed to conform to my own needs. Either I don't make a good first impression or the Internet could seriously use a refresher course. I dislike most of the people that Facebook suggests I add as friends (I'm looking at you, "angry dude from college" and "quiet girl I never spoke to in high school"). I hate half the music that Pandora recommends (REO Speedwagon on my "AC/DC" channel? Really?) and Hulu tailors some very strange ads "just for me" (Diaper commercials, LensCrafters, HIV prevention tips for gay Samoan men, etc.). And since I'm a straight, contraceptively competent, and continent caucasian with perfect vision, I'm not sure who that one was meant for.

So I've been hard pressed to see how Web 2.0.1 has made life easier for society. It's just an outlet to post tons of unnecessary information about yourself (see: here). And suddenly it hit me like Guy Gardner: with all of the photos and photos and Tweeterings, Facebook's true societal benefit is apparent. You're now able to get over your ex in record time.

You get dumped, and as we all know, there's normally a recovery time of 1/4th of the relationship length, oftentimes longer. It's always tends to be more like this, less like that. And despite how painfully the relationship ended, we have this way of mythologizing our time together. For example, there's the Vince Vaughn movie "The Breakup." One girl dumped me after we went to see that piece of shit movie, and yet I still pined after her.

You get an idea stuck in your head that you and What'stheirname were the greatest romance since Bogey and Bacall, Antony and Cleopatra, Desmond and Penny, Harold and Maude, Huey Lewis and the News etc. And you have that perfect picture of them in your head, you don't stop reminiscing about their quirks.

You close your eyes, and suddenly your old dinner dates probably have Ryan Adams on the soundtrack (or Carly Simon if you're of that particular generation). It's epic, perfect, and because of that memory you wallow in self pity. Maybe even write bad poetry, trying to learn the harmonica just so you can sing the blues. Hell, even if you stalk them you'll still have a fractured portrait since now you're viewing them through stalker goggles which always subtract 10 pounds and add 20 IQ points.

All because you never get a good look at them after they're gone.

Now, thanks to Facebook, you get to see them plastered, passed out, not wearing make up, in incriminating positions, making inflammatory gestures, gaining weight, writing long diatribes about how much they hated Inception, writing long diatribes about how much they loved Inception. It's hard to get over Ms. Perfect teeth, perfect grammar, perfect everything. But seeing her drunkenly make out with her roommate while some dude pukes behind them and two other guys grab their junk while crashing the photo? Not so much of a loss. Maybe one of your exes thinks that they're going to be a model and look like a cross between Bjork and Chris Tucker in "The Fifth Element?" Pass. Your ex starts rambling on about Hillary Clinton's 2012 presidential campaign? Or any sort of mindless Facebook rant where people comment about comments and like comments and then asking for a dislike button and then disliking that comment...You get the picture. Next.

Because of these photos, recovery time is shortened. It's the penicillin of heartbreak. When there is so much written about yourself on the web, it's easy to find something to despise. And not in the Ben Linus sense of "love to hate," but rather in the Nikki and Paulo, Vaya con Smoke Monster way.

The other benefit of Facebook is that no one my age (Mormons excluded) will ever be able to run for public office, let alone sit in front of a Senate confirmation hearing. "Mr. X, while you are an admirable candidate for the Supreme Court, it seems as though you once blacked out and had the phrase 'boner magnet' scribbled in Sharpie across your face. Would you care to explain that instance and how it might interfere with your interpretation of the founder's intent?" Imagine if JFK or Slick Willy had Facebook profiles during their campaigns. (Digression: perhaps Facebook is just a weapon construed by old school Puritans to ensure their political victories in future generations. Just a thought).

So I salute you, Facebook. You might have wasted hours of our life with Farmville, but at least we can rest easy knowing that our exes are all politically active whoremongering bullets that we thankfully dodged.

*****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!