Skip to main content

Online dating: still pathetic

"The perfect match, if you ask me, is between the Cosmo woman and the fourteen-year old boy."
- Nick Hornby, High Fidelity

*********

Call it desperation, call it loneliness, call it pre-Valentine's malaise, but I finally decided to bite the bullet and sign up for online dating.

Everyone I know under the age of thirty has joined for one of two reasons: 1) they lost a drinking game-related wager, or 2) "Everyone else does it and it seems like fun." I'm sorry, kids that got tricked into painting a fence, but it is the exact opposite of fun.

Do you know what online dating is good for? Horror stories that you tell on dates that weren't arranged via the internet. It's a conversation that has been had many times, and it goes a little something a-like this:

MAN: I'm so glad we met. I was having some really bad luck on eHarmony.
WOMAN: Oh, me too! There was this one guy who would only talk about the plight of Malaysian lemurs.
MAN: Ha ha! You should hear about some of the women that I went out with! She was in an adult cheerleading league.

And scene.

This is the only utility of online dating: making other (read: Real) dates seem more authentic. It's like swinging two bats in the on-deck circle. Or doing that thing in a doorway to make your arms float up afterwards.

I think the problem was that there has never been a site that calls out to me. We all know the usual suspects. Match.com, eHarmony, Craig's List, the AnnCoulter.com message boards. And since "BlondeAustralianWomanWhoLoveTheMarxBrothers.com" is still in beta testing, I've got nothing.

eHarmony features "real testimonials" of happy couples who found their soul mates. Not bad advertising, but apparently only 6's and below can find happiness on the Internet. These "happy couples" look like the sort of parents you'd expect to see at a five year old's pool party. Maybe beautiful people have their own, secret dating system. You know, apart from walking into a bar and being gorgeous. Bastards.

Speed daters look down on online dating. Frequenters of brothels look down on online dating. Even the people who sign up for online dating mock people who sign up for online dating. So why have I been swayed?

The other night, I discovered a new dating site that finally spoke to me. One that seemed in tune with my unique way of life.

I'm speaking, of course, about CougarLife.com: the dating website for women looking to catch younger men.

With their charming jingle "I'm a cougar. I'm a cougar. Don't you want to date a cougar?" I was hooked. Ever since I learned about cougars from Neil Patrick Harris on "How I Met Your Mother," I decided that I wanted to be sexually exploited by a 45 year old woman getting her groove back. Because nothing can possibly go wrong in that situation.

Filling out the profile was an exercise in sexy futility. Apparently I qualify as a "Cub," which in gay-lingo is a small, hairy man. In Cougar context, it is only slightly less degrading. According to the site: "A cub needs to be youthful, fit, unintimidated and of course sexually driven! These men can range from athletes to intellectuals, and from technologists to entrepreneurs and all points in between; they can come in all shapes and sizes, but one thing they have in common is the desire to possess a sexually charged older woman."

Yes. A "technologist." As in "Are you sure you didn't mean: technology?" Where do I sign up? Oh yes. On the website I just quoted.

How did I come across this Shangri-La of desperate divorcées? Was it one of the periodicals that I often read? Was it Hulu's patented ad tailor?

Nope. I happened to stumble across their TV commercial while watching a late-night replay of WWE Monday Night Raw. Because you know it's a high quality Cougar hunting website if you're advertising during professional wrestling events and reruns of Two and a Half Men. Nothing says "honest dating site" like having your informercial sandwiched between a Shake Weight ad and a promo for the Big Carl (new at Carl's Jr). Hot cougars ideally want to hook up with twenty somethings who spend their time blogging about how John Cena should turn heel.

So it's time to hunt the most dangerous game: Cougars. Or maybe they're the ones doing the hunting. I'm still confused about the logistics of this whole ordeal.

******
Epilogue:
There's another site which I was tempted to join, but I doubt that I would fit in: www.blackpeoplemeet.com. A site that, no lie, was advertised five times on ESPN during Martin Luther King Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!