Skip to main content

You say goodbye, I say "Smell you Later"

To say goodbye is to die a little.
-Raymond Chandler, "The Long Goodbye"

**********

I recently got representation as a writer. This means that I now have to "work" and "generate new ideas" as opposed to sitting around on my ass, dreaming about putting things down on paper. I celebrated my signing by dropping a good chunk of change in the "Young Professional Douchebag" (YUPDIE) section of Urban Outfitters. I bought plenty of flannel, a book about how to make 100 different sorts of martinis, and a turntable so I can invite people back to my loft and listen to old Bryan Ferry records.

And on Friday, I said goodbye to my unpaid internship.

It was sad. I felt like I should commemorate it with Cheers' "We're Closed" final line, or saying Goodnight Moon to every room that I had spent time in. "Goodnight copier. Goodnight movie projector. Goodnight beleaguered assistant to egomaniacal director."

But the thought occurred to me: these ideas have been played out. They aren't original. I'm using someone else's poetry to express how I feel.

This company meant a great deal to me. A terrific work environment that fostered creativity and loyalty. I need to express my appreciation in my own words. I know that in the past I have used quotes to demonstrate how I feel (See: the top of this post). But this is different. This letter came from the heart and is pure, unadulterated me.

The only words that aren't mine are classified names and companies, since I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

So without further Apu...

*******

February 25, 2011

When I joined REDACTED, it was the fulfillment of all my boyish hopes and dreams. The world has turned over many times since, and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished. But I still remember the refrain of one of the ballads of that day which proclaimed that old interns never die; they just fade away. And I now close my career and just fade away, an old intern who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.


I’m not going to sit here like other interns and say that I won’t miss it. Because I will. I’m sure that on Sundays I’ll say, “I could be doing that.” Sure, I would have liked to have won more games, would have liked to have gone to a Super Bowl this year, would have liked to have thrown less interceptions, more touchdowns. But as I look back on my career, I have no regrets. I was telling Deanna on the way over here, that God has blessed me with so much.


I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched REDACTED get hired, fired, and rehired in one day. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

All I ask of you, especially young people, is one thing. Please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism. It's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen.
But that’s the thing about unpaid internships. They're totally irrational and crazy and absurd. But I guess we keep going through it because most of us need the eggs.

I’ve got a job to do. Where I’m going, you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of one intern don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that. So here’s looking at you, kid.

Today I consider myself the luckiest intern on the face of the earth. I might have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for. I was not the intern you deserved, but the intern you needed. A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

But as I leave you, I want you to know that you won’t have Max Davison to kick around anymore. Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. Because nothing ever ends, Adrian. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. After all, tomorrow is another day.

Before I go, I just want to tell you that you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And know what? So was I.

See you in another life, brother.
Max G. Davison

Comments

NM said…
you were a shitty intern

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!