Skip to main content

Pulp Flip-tion

Hello, little man.  I’ve sure heard a great deal about you.  See, your old man and I were pretty close.  And I’ve got something to give to you. 

In my hands is a cellular telephone that was first purchased by your grandfather Charlie back in twenty ought two.  It was bought at a store known as “Circuit City” and was manufactured by Motorola, one of the first companies to ever make mobile devices.  Up until then, people only talked on the phone when they were at home.  If they were out of the house, they just didn’t pick up.

Charlie had been told that cell phones were the way of the future, but your grandfather never really used it apart from the occasional game of Snake.  There were still payphones and landlines, you see.  The most utility he got out of it was as an accessory, clipping it onto the front of his belt.

Realizing that it was useless in his own hands, he offered the phone to his son, your uncle, Dakota.  The day before Dakota went off to Oberlin, Charlie gave him his old phone for emergencies only.  The old guy didn’t want to waste any of their family plan minutes.

That soon changed once Dakota started texting throughout freshman year.  And, mind you, this was before T9 was invented.  The kid texted so much that the paint on the buttons started to chip.  They’re still worn down today, as you can see.

He nearly lost your grandfather's phone at a sophomore year foam party.  Thankfully Dakota preemptively put it in a plastic bag and the vibrate mode was so loud that he could find it by dialing his own number and listening carefully as he combed the party the next morning.

Your uncle, however, was a man with little appreciation for the past.  Soon he would opt out of his contract and latch onto one of those newly invented Apple devices.  This meant that he, in turn, handed down the family phone to his little brother, Morgan.  Your father.

Your Daddy used this phone all throughout college, which is where I met him.  Even after graduating and watching as the flip became outdated, Morgan adored that phone and held onto it.  Sure, everyone he came across mocked him, but he didn’t want to be distracted by data plans or backing up to the Cloud or whether or not to switch over to a Droid.  It was a simple phone from a simpler time.

This phone was in your Daddy’s front pocket when he walked into the Verizon store to re-up his contract.  Turns out that ol’ Morgan had twelve upgrades waiting for him.  He could walk out of that store with a brand new, 5G smart phone for absolutely nothing.  Free of charge.  But he wasn’t about to trade in his family heirloom for one of these new finagled “phablets.”

Two years later, he returned to purchase a new lithium battery and the salesguy told him that it would actually cost $3 less a month if he got a smart phone.  That’s when Morgan realized that they had him trapped.  Your father knew if the guys at the Verizon store ever saw the phone again, it would be confiscated and replaced with a newer model.

It couldn't stream video or connect to the net, but as far as your father was concerned this flip phone was your birthright and he wasn't going to let any Verizon employee put his greasy hands on it and replace it with a Bluetooth compatible iPhone with built-in GPS. So he hid it in the one place no one would look: up his ass.  He was able to escape that Verizon hellhole and keep the family artifact.

One night, your old man and I were driving home from a Mumford and Sons concert.  He got lost because he forgot to print out directions and wasn't sure which on-ramp to use.  And then, as he was talking to your mother on the phone while steering at the same time, we crashed.  The car was wrecked.  Only one of us could make it out alive.

So before I left him, he entrusted me with his phone.  And to protect it from any upgrades that your father was still eligible for, I hid this uncomfortable hunk of plastic up my ass for three years.

And now, little man, I give your grandfather's Motorola Razr to you.

-30-



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!