Skip to main content

Modern Day Parables

The Parable of the Great Samaritan

A man was traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho when thieves robbed him, attacked him and left him for dead.  First, a priest came down the road, but he passed by and kept riding.  Then came a Levite, who also walked away without helping the man. 

Then came a Samaritan, who took pity and showed him mercy.  He said, “My friend, let us find the evil men who did this to you.”
“The robbers?”
“Oh no.  We’re never going to catch them.  And besides, they’re probably poor, disenfranchised men who are just trying to provide for their families.  I mean the Levite and the Priest.  We can make an example out of those wealthy, privileged, blind-eye-turners.”

So they hunted down and found the Levite and the Priest in their respective hometowns and publicly shamed them.  “Why could you not be bothered to help?  Do you lack basic human decency?”  Those two would forever be remembered as the lazy, self-interested men who would not help their brother in need.  The Samaritan considered posting their home addresses online, but that would be overkill.

Even though the man was still suffering from the internal injuries he sustained at the hands of the robbers, the Samaritan was proud.  By holding a mirror up to society he had been a good neighbor not only to the man, but also to the world.


The Parable of the Non-Prodigal Son

There were two brothers.  The younger did not want to follow in the footsteps of his family’s patriarchal establishment, so he took his inheritance early and left home.  Confident that he would succeed, even without a clear plan or skill set, he went off to San Francisco.

Unaware that rent and Outside Lands tickets were quite so expensive, he soon squandered all his money.  After exhausting all of his couch-surfing options, he bit the bullet, returned home, and asked for forgiveness.  His father smiled and embraced him.  “Let us have a feast and celebrate!  We shall kill the fatted calf!”

The older brother, returning home from a long day at the family business, was stunned.  “Seriously, Dad?  I have been working diligently every single day and you’ve never thrown me a party. Whatever happened to loyalty?”
“But, you see, your brother was once lost and now he is--“
“No.  No.  This is bullshit.  If you just let him walk back in as though nothing has happened, I will quit and go off to work for our rival insurance conglomerate.  They will value the consistent excellence that I bring to the table.”

The Father, realizing that actions should, in fact, have consequences, canceled the party and instead offered his younger son a low-level position in the mailroom (which he turned down). 

The Fatted Calf lived to see another day.


The Parable of the Liquid Assets

A fund manager was going away on vacation and called in his three top brokers.  He entrusted them each with the same amount of capital and told them to invest wisely.  Time passed and the manager returned to settle accounts.  The first broker reported, “I put mine in housing and so far it has doubled in value.”  The second said, “I invested in a hedge fund and have currently tripled my balance.”

The third broker buried assets in gold, a money market account and government bonds that paid 6.5% annually.  The manager scolded the third.  “You wicked and slothful man!  You played it safe.  You are worthless!”  Thusly, he fired the broker and cast him out into the darkness.

Days later, the sub-prime mortgage market crashed and the third broker’s assets were the only ones left with any value.  The company attempted to rehire him, but he had founded his own firm and had no interest in returning to a sinking ship.


The Parable of the Greatest Samaritan

There once was a Samaritan who did a good deed for another man.  Not going to say what it was and won’t go into detail about the act of kindness because that isn’t the point of the story.  What is important is the fact that he was a good man, he helped someone in need, and was very humble about it.

Yet not wanting to hide his light under a bushel, the Samaritan posted the following on his Facebook wall: “Guys, today I helped someone that I didn’t even know.  I don’t want it to sound like I’m bragging so I won’t tell you all about it, but I want to share that it felt amazing to be selfless.  Go and do likewise.”

The post garnered a colossal number of likes.  Despite the Samaritan’s insistence otherwise, people wanted to know more.  After much pleading in the comments section, he finally shared details about his gallant, noble deed.  Again, the specifics of his heroics are not important.  All you need to know is that this Good Samaritan assisted someone in need purely because it was the right thing to do.

Word spread across all platforms.  And one day, Jesus himself read and shared his story, reblogging it to all his followers.  The Samaritan’s tale went viral, rewarding his modesty.  For although humility and kindness are the highest virtues, if you don’t spread the message, you aren’t truly being a good neighbor.


-30-





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!