Skip to main content

Daeny Hall

There’s this old joke: Two Dornish whores are walking through Casterly Rock.  One turns to the other and says, “These Lannister men are pigs.”  And the other says, “I know.  And none of them have tried to force themselves upon us.”  And that’s how I feel about life right now.  Despite being surrounded by dragons and handmaidens and an army of Dothraki marauders, I’m still very much alone.  I’m talking “Sylvia Plath exiled to the Night’s Watch” levels of loneliness and isolation. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m used to being abandoned.  My earliest memory is the sack of Dragonstone when I was smuggled out of the city as Stannis Baratheon murdered every last member of my House.  But this time is different.  This one actually hurts.  I had someone in my life this time.  Drogo and I were in love.  Granted, I was originally treated like property and sold off to him as a way of consolidating power, but you can’t be too picky nowadays.

My five-year plan was always simple.  Raise an army, return to King’s Landing, massacre the Baratheon usurpers and sit atop the Iron Throne.  But now I don’t know if that’s in the cards anymore.  I’ve grown comfortable here in Meereen.  It’s such a vibrant and amazing city.  You’ve got the fighting pits, the slave auctions, the numerous ecru-colored ziggurats.  Can’t find this sort of culture anywhere else.  I have zero idea why anyone would ever willingly move back to the west. 

Yet even in this city, I don’t know if there’s anyone who really gets me.  I still don’t have any close friends.  The possibility exists that the only person who understands me is a man-eating, fire-breathing creature with scaly skin.  But enough about my mother. 

But is it my parents?  Is that the problem?  Did they irreparably damage me to the point where I’m going to repeat all of their mistakes over and over again?  Looking back, I don’t know if anyone in my family has ever had a functioning relationship.  Traditionally Targaryen marriages are as incestuous as Malcolm Gladwell and the New Yorker submissions desk. 

And then there’s my brother Rhaegar.  Talk about a guy who had everything going for him and then blew it all for a woman.  He abducts Lyanna Stark.  Not sure if it was out of spite or out of love.  Although Bergman’s filmography posits that those two are often interchangeable.

With this exemplary Targaryen track record, you start to wonder if true love is even possible.  But I know that it is.  I had it.  Drogo loved me and protected me.  And then...well...he got sick.  He was dying.  And my magical animal sacrifice wasn’t enough.  It was getting late.  And I had to say “Goodbye” to him.  So, with a sense of on-the-nose, Joyce Carol Oates-ian irony, I smothered him in the same way he smothered me. 

And now I have to move on as well.  Whether it’s with Jorah or Daario or any of these slave traders in Meereen, I know that I’m going to have to remarry at some point.  And I also know that it won’t end well.  Can’t escape that prophecy.    

But that’s the thing about arranged Dothraki weddings.  They’re irrational and crazy and absurd and downright terrifying.  But I guess we keep going through it because most of us need the dragon eggs.



-30-





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was labor day weekend, I was 17. I bought a coke and some gasoline.

It's currently day three of my blogging adventure, and David Delgado has still not accepted my challenge to get off of his lazy ass and start writing. This is why a hunger strike may be necessary. If Mr. Delgado does not cave in and post a new entry by the end of this week, then on November 14th, I, Max Davison, will officially pull a Ghandi and abstain from eating for as long as it takes. Homer Simpson also utilized this tactic when the Springfield Isotopes were planning on moving to Albuquerque. It worked then, and it will work now if necessary. Onto the blogging... I had a rather pleasant dinner at the Ath tonight. It was a class dinner for Prof. Busch's GOVT20 class. The highlights included conversations about the Ivory Coast, strange roommates, and (most importantly) they had some great cheesecake. So great, in fact, that we raided the empty tables to ensure ourselves some extra slices. Cheesecake. I love it. Occasionally, I'm not sure if I want cake or a dairy

25 October 2007 - I'm not sure what his appeal is, but he deserves better

Superman has kryptonite. Mike Tyson has Buster Douglas. Vince Young has grammar. We all have our weaknesses. But mine is a little bit more embarassing than any of the aforementioned (apart from VY's hatred of the present tense): dumb romantic comedies. Yes, it's not something that I like to admit and it's a vice probably better suited for the Probie or Sean Garrity , but I just like to sit down for an hour and a half, turn my brain off and watch two people fall in love. And apart from the Hanks/Ryan classics (which were ruined for me after Meg ditched Dennis Quaid for Cinderella Man ), there is one thread that links all of my favorites: Hugh Grant. I mean, just look at the guy. When he's not getting arrested for picking up hookers on Sunset (here's a better shot of the man), he's the epitome of the 90 minute romance. He's got "endearingly befuddled" down to an art form, he's also got perfect comedic timing and if you've ever seen hi

To forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

So, I've decided to take a break from my James Joyce paper to talk about my candidate for President in 2008. He is a man of convictions. A man with a stellar record of military service. A man who knows how to get things done. A man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to set the world straight. A man who also has a talk show on FoxNews and frequents the Sean Hannity radio program. Col. Oliver North Argue with me if you dare. You'll lose. Do you want a strong leader like Colonel North or Hillary? That's right. I'm glad you see it my way. With that being said, I'll go back to my boy Stephen Dedalus. SERENITY NOW!!!!!